I recently received this from a reader, Erica. I was so good I thought I’d post it here.
Hope you find it as useful.
Many people have learned the importance of good health and fitness. Most of the individuals have the wish to take a more active role in body workouts. However they encounter some shortcomings, and they end up not accomplishing their needs. Such instances that hinder them include the distance to the gym, time, and personal obligations among others. Other individuals don’t have a fitness center near them that also provides childcare. For this reason, they end up opting for an alternative approach. Designing a personal fitness routine they can perform in their private house. This is what is called home fitness. It entails following a fitness routines while at home using a variety of available methods. This article gives an insight of doing the workouts in gym vs. the home exercise.
What is more beneficial – training in the Gym or training at home?
Many people enjoy the privacy of training in the home gym. There is freedom to use any equipment and they can play any music that suits them. Additionally, the home gym is accessible 24/7. The other category includes those who like working out in the social atmosphere of a gym. So, where to you get the best results at the local gym or the home gym? To answer this question let us skim the merits and demerits of a home fitness and local gym.
Some of the experienced and new bodybuilders find themselves in a difficult situation. Deciding whether they want to buy gym equipment or purchase a gym membership is the issue. Each decision poses its disadvantages and advantages. However, the results of any workout also depend on the personal commitment. Let us discuss the pros and cons of both scenarios. We must understand that there is a novitiate and experienced gym users.
Merits of working out at a local gym
- Motivation: being in a lifting atmosphere is encouraging. When you look at the people around you, you become socially encouraged. You give it all in every set.
- Cost effectiveness: you don’t have to break a bank to purchase gym equipment worth thousands of dollars. The gym has it all for you. Opting for a local gym increases the list of exercise options. Gym equipment such as hip abductor, a plethora of cables is quite expensive for an individual. Fortunately, you can use them in your workout program.
- Availability of spotters: you will never lack quite some people at the gym. They can be of great help to you in various aspects. This is particularly vital in maintaining safety during weight lifting. If you ever need any guidance, there is always someone to ask.
- Conveniences: most of the gyms offer additional services. Such include day care, massaging, tanning, steam rooms, protein shakers among other essentials. They add comfort and make the gym workouts more fruitful.
- Affordability: it is quite expensive to purchase enough gym equipment. On the other hand, it is relatively cheaper to get a membership to a gym especially for a beginner.
Demerits of working out at a local gym
- Interruptions: one thing is sure, you don’t go the gym for chats, but you go to the gym for a workout. But meeting with new friends is inevitable. Meeting with new fitness chicks or pals distracts your attention or commitment. Socialization in the gym renders the exercises less productive. Socializing through chatting is disastrous to your workout program.
- Lack of privacy plus freedom: There are things that go with weight lifting or a set of squats. These include things like grunting, shouting, or sprawling across the gym floor. When you do them, you end up embarrassing yourself or distracting other people. This is unethical of course but would be fun when you do them at home.
- Time wastage: This happens in the sense that weighting in line would cost time. Most of the gyms get seriously crowded. This happens especially on certain days of the week. These might be the same days when you are free for your regular workouts. Some workouts are fatigue related and require moments of rests. Unfortunately, this is quite impossible when the queue is long.
- Hygiene issues: most of the gyms out there are clean. But you wouldn’t fail to encounter embarrassing situations. It isn’t a wonder to walk over a bench only to find a splash of sweat. Badly enough, is where you are supposed to place your head to do the lifting or other forms of exercises. Of course, most of the workouts result in a lot of sweat shedding. Many heavyweight people are so dedicated to shedding pounds of calories. You must share the bench and as a result, your hygiene is compromised.
- Unfavorable location: the closest gym may be quite some miles from your home. This situation poses another challenge because you have to drive long distances. Other people may opt to walk and by the time they arrive at the gym they are already exhausted. Starting a workout in an exhausted mood will never be motivating. It yields poor results.
What are the advantages of a home fitness?
- You own the freedom: bearing in mind that this is your personal sanctuary, there is a lot of fun in it. You can play the music of your taste as well as a shout to enhance the body exercises. It leads to excellent workout yields because you have all the time to do any style that fits your needs.
- No monthly membership fee is required: Once you have made the required installation in your home gym. There is no cause for alarm. That is your property, and you will enjoy it for the rest of your life. Finances won’t be a constraint anymore. So, you have it at your disposal, and you can access it at any time.
- Effectiveness and less confusion: doing your workouts in a gym gets wrapped up in some complicated machines. But for a home fitness gym, you mainly encounter free weights, which are easy and admirable. They tend to motivate you and by so doing the results are excellent.
- Accessibility: the home fitness is always open. Gym closure can bring a lot of inconveniences to your training program. However, this is untrue for the home-based gyms. They are open all the day and all the year round. Individuals with busy lives usually find this beneficial. They can always do workouts at their free moments.
Is there any demerit of working out in a home-based gym?
It turns out that starting a private gym is profoundly expensive. This is practically disadvantageous when starting it. But the investment is worth it. Another disadvantage is the lack of a spotter. This situation can be very dangerous especially when working with heavy equipment. You might get trapped inside it, and the results are life-threatening. Besides, a spotter can guide you to the right way of doing certain exercises. Incorrect manner of doing certain gym exercises can also result in health risks. Such risks are spine injuries. A good trainer can assist you immensely in the workouts. Conversely, a bad trainer can sell a disaster. Additionally, doing your workouts alone at home can be demotivating. Comfort is essential in any gym exercise. Having someone to look up to and emulate can help in the overall performance. Unfortunately, there is probably no one to motivate you at home. A solution to his problem is investing in power racks. Power racks have pins set at proper heights which aid at intercepting the weights. They protect you when you accidentally drop them. The power racks are quite expensive.
What is the better option then?
Let us base our arguments to the above pros and cons of both home gyms and commercial gyms. The local or commercial gyms have more demerits compared to the home gyms. On top of that, the few demerits of the home fitness gyms can be easily fixed. There are just too many faults to work on in the case of commercial gyms. A home gym appears to be the best option. It is a worthy investment.
Which one is best suited for a beginner?
We have compared the advantages and disadvantages of a home gym and a commercial gym. Let us on focus on the appropriateness of each to a beginner i.e. a person who is not experienced that much. In this case, we consider the beginner as a neophyte. They may have heard something to do with fitness from their friends. But out of curiosity, they intend to practice it. They want to give gym exercise a trial. Two things are bound to happen.one is that they may enjoy it for a few days then lose the interest and stop. Or, they may love it and stick with it.
If the beginner opts for a commercial gym, what are the advantages and the disadvantages?
The neophyte can enjoy several merits. Firstly, there is no attachment. This happens because when the membership is up, they can opt to stop going to the gym. When they feel that the gym workouts aren’t fit for them, they can stop as there is no string attached. Another benefit is that of having a personal trainer. The beginner usually has no idea of what there are supposed to do. In the commercial gym, a personal trainer would be a valuable tool to them. Also, the atmosphere at the gym is perfect for a beginner. Everybody strives to have a better body through rigorous exercises. This scenario motivates the beginner to target high.
The beginner also faces several disadvantages while at the commercial gym. One of it is the adverse influence from the experienced people. They can demonstrate certain moves in a mysterious manner. They may be good at it only because they have trained for years. For beginners they may innocently try to emulate them and end up injuring themselves. Besides that, the beginners may face bullying at the local commercial gyms. This situation may happen when they just look around and realize that they are weak. For instance, in weight lifting they may feel nervous. This is because they can only lift lightweights. Due to these intimidations, they feel like they want to quit.
When the beginner decides to do the exercises at home
Apart from no acts of intimidation and bad influences, there is no significant advantage. But they may face quite some demerits. Confusion is very outright in the sense that they are no personal trainer. The neophyte is left to learn by himself or herself. Cost is another issue. The beginner will purchase exercise equipment and won’t utilize it well.
Home exercises are the best for a beginner or a neophyte
We can conclude that a commercial gym is the best for a beginner. This decision is because they only need to purchase a membership to a gym. But, when they learn and become more dedicated to gym exercises, they can rely on home exercises.
The fate of an experienced person
It is evident that an experienced person needs a home gym. The main reason is cost. They are so much dedicated and end up spending a life’s timesavings on a gym membership. The merits and demerits of an experienced person using either a gym or home exercises are exactly the opposite of the beginner’s.
Regular workouts are vital to our body’s health and fitness. But, we cannot fulfill these obligations without having proper exercise equipment. We have a choice to make on our fitness. We may opt to go to a gym or just do the exercise at home. But doing them at home requires us to an extra spending on purchasing the gym equipment. Likewise, if we opt to go to the gym, we must also surrender some membership fee. Thus, we can never achieve fitness if we are not ready to spend some resources. These include our money, time, and strength among others. So, the key aspect here is dedication. It is the one to shape us to be fit for either going to a gym or just doing the exercises at home. Here is the verdict. An experienced person is more dedicated to workouts and is best suited for a home gym exercises. A beginner or a less dedicated person fits in going to a gym and paying for the membership.